[Dovecot] Re: compiling Dovecot CVS version, 1 problem, 1 wish, 3 questions

Linus Nordberg linus at nordberg.se
Fri Jan 13 22:03:58 EET 2006

Steffen Kaiser <skdovecot at smail.inf.fh-bonn-rhein-sieg.de> wrote
Fri, 13 Jan 2006 13:48:10 +0100 (CET):

|  > Have you seen the instructions for compiling dovecot-lda on
|  > http://wiki.dovecot.org/LDA ?
|
|  Yes and no; in the Wiki:
|
|  ./configure --with-dovecot=../dovecot
|
|  The default is "..", so the default assumes that the source are located in
|  a sub-dir of Dovecot (which was mandatory some versions ago).

Ah, I didn't realize that.

|  The Wiki-way works, which is also confusing, because shouldn't it work
|  anywhere. So how about to change the default for the dovecot-path to
|  '../dovecot', in order to avoid confusion?

There's some magic going on with the Auto* tools and parent directory,
it seems.  For me, with dovecot-lda in subdirectory of dovecot,
libtool --force says

  Putting files in AC_CONFIG_AUX_DIR, `..'.

and automake --add-missing says

  configure.in: installing `../ylwrap'

Auto* versions used:
ltmain.sh (GNU libtool) 1.5.20 (1.1220.2.287 2005/08/31 18:54:15)
automake (GNU automake) 1.9.6
autoconf (GNU Autoconf) 2.59

aclocal.m4 mentions using $srcdir/.. for AC_CONFIG_AUX_DIR if not
given explicitly.  I'm not versed enough in Auto*magic to sort this
out though.

--
Linus