[Dovecot] Locking strategy?

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sat Jan 14 15:48:11 EET 2006

On Sat, 2006-01-14 at 13:54 +0100, Gerhard Wiesinger wrote:
> But I don't think that locking works well. In pine I get the following
> error messages:
> Unexpected changes to folder (try restarting)

Why do you let Pine use the mbox files directly instead of going through
IMAP? That'll probably give you faster mailbox opening times as well.

UW-IMAP and Pine used their own locking in /tmp also, and whenever one
of them tried to access a mailbox the other one was using, the other one
is sent a signal which kills it (or closes the mailbox in Pine
probably). Dovecot doesn't try to do any of this, so you'll get the
error.

> Also when I delete a file in the imap inbox I can't see that immediatly in
> pine (even when I restart pine the message is still there with a "Deleted"
> flag.

Setting mbox_lazy_writes=no fixes this, but makes the performance
somewhat worse.