[Dovecot] Plain password not authenticating

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Sat Jan 14 17:32:48 EET 2006

On Saturday 14 Jan 2006 14:53, Chris Wakelin wrote:
> Anne Wilson wrote:
> > On Thursday 12 Jan 2006 21:57, Chris Wakelin wrote:
> >> I've got something like
> >>
> >> auth default {
> >>    mechanisms = plain login
> >>    passdb = passwd-file [
> >>      args = /some/path/passwd
> >>    }
> >>    userdb = passwd-file {
> >>      args = /some/path/passwd
> >>    }
> >> }
> >
> > Well, I have 1.0alpha5 installed, and have matched these lines in
> > the dovecot.conf file.  Now I got
> > Error...... unknown setting: passdb
> >
> > Looking at the examples I took out the '=' and it seemed to pass
> > that line, but then
>
> Oops! My fault! No there's no "=" between "passdb" and "passwd-file".
>
> This is what I've actually got (grepped out of my config file)
>
> auth default {
>    mechanisms = plain login
>    passdb pam {
>    }
>    userdb passwd-file {
>      args = /opt/RDGdovect/etc/userdb
>    }
>    user = root
> }
>
> as I'm using PAM for passwords and only storing UIDs etc. in the
> "passwd-file" file (/opt/RDGdovecot/etc/userdb is created overnight
> from NIS - it turns out to be *much* faster than doing NIS lookups
> each time).
>
> Did you start from the dovecot-example.conf as Timo suggested?
> Probably more reliable than me ;)

Yes, I did.  What I've actually got is

auth default {
  # Space separated list of wanted authentication mechanisms:
  #   plain digest-md5 cram-md5 apop anonymous gssapi
  mechanisms = plain login
  # passwd-like file with specified location
  passdb passwd-file {
      args = /etc/imap.passwd
  }
  userdb passwd-file{
      args = /etc/imap.passwd
  }
}

It's the line
  passdb passwd-file {
that it's objecting to.  (I kept the original file and deleted a lot of
comments from the working one to make it quicker to move around.  I
displayed line numbers to ensure that I knew which one was the
problem.)

Anne