[Dovecot] Duplicate suppression

Curtis Maloney cmaloney at cardgate.net
Tue Jan 17 05:34:09 EET 2006

Greg Trounson wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> Does the Dovecot project have plans to implement duplicate suppression
> at some stage?
>
> I have a situation where several people belong to more than one mailing
> list.  One alias ('staff') incorporates several lists.  These staff are
> receiving duplicate messages (one copy for every list they're on) when a
> message is sent to this staff alias. There is no reason they need to
> receive more than one copy.

Your wording here is a little confusing.  Are you saying that several people are
not only on the mailing list, but also in the 'staff' alias, which is also on
the mailing list?

> There seems to be no way I can turn that feature off in my MTA so I
> thought I'd try a bit further down the chain.

Sounds to me like your MTA is doing what you've told it:  when mail comes in for
X, send a copy to   [A,B,C,D....].

One option you might consider (and one I'll be investigating once we migrate to
1.0) is to have the list mails delivered to shared folders.  Then your only
issues are new/read flags (which can be great for sales inquiry lists, btw) and
who gets to delete messages.

--
Curtis Maloney
cmaloney at cardgate.net