[Dovecot] new configure-option --disable-index

Steffen Kaiser skdovecot at smail.inf.fh-bonn-rhein-sieg.de
Tue Jan 17 09:49:42 EET 2006

On Mon, 16 Jan 2006, Marten Lehmann wrote:

> Hello,
>
>> Either store indexes on a local disk or use nonpersistent memory
>>
>> default_mail_env = maildir:/nfs/%d/%u/Maildir:INDEX=MEMORY
>
> my default_mail_env is more complex, so its read from a file by passwd
> and userdb. How can I define the default_mail_env (or at least the
> index=memory thing) without changing the maildir?

Hmm, I'm using the storage directory for other processes as well, hence,
the Dovecot conf string is not suitable for the "general" maildir
attribute (or field or whatever your DB uses as a term for it).

I'm using two attributes, one for Dovecot and one for the others. This,
however, has the drawback:

+ to manage redundant data (OK, I don't remember changing the
mailstorage location manually never),
+ Dovecot's string not only specifies the location, but the type as well
(maildir, mbox), but this problem you have with other environments as
well.

As "default_mail_env" is fixed for all users, I'm not understanding why
adding ":INDEX=MEMORY" to whereever its read from would be problematic.

Bye,

--
Steffen Kaiser