[Dovecot] INBOX as either mbox or Maildir

Tom Alsberg alsbergt at cs.huji.ac.il
Wed Jan 18 14:47:56 EET 2006

In Dovecot 0.99, I recall somewhere I read it was possible for INBOX to
be both a Maildir and an mbox in the same configuration (either
automatically detected, or depending on the existence in a different
location).  Perhaps I was wrong, I'm not sure.

Any way, I now became interested in this sort of setup:

Most users have their spool an mbox in /var/mail/<username>, and then
they (or their MUA) have to move read mail from there to ~/mbox or
something like that (a state in which users use the spool as a long-time
storage space is unacceptable, and we have measures to avoid it).

However, for those that will access their mail only via IMAP, it will be
easier to set in .forward or something like that automatic delivery
directly to their mailbox - some Maildir in their home directory (there
can then be a link from /var/mail or /var/maildir or whatever to there),
which will contain both read and new messages.  In such a case one would
want INBOX to be that main mailbox.

Would it be possible to set Dovecot to either automatically detect
whether /var/mail/<username> is a Maildir or mbox (which relates to my
interest in mixing maildirs and mboxes in one namespace which I have
written about several months ago) or to configure several options for
INBOX with the first one found used?

   Cheers,
   -- Tom

--
   Tom Alsberg - hacker (being the best description fitting this space)
   Web page:	http://www.cs.huji.ac.il/~alsbergt/