[Dovecot] Re: dovecot lda with sendmail

Michael Surette msurette at laframboise.net
Wed Jan 18 20:06:29 EET 2006

Rene Luria wrote:
> Michael Surette wrote:
>> I'm trying to set up dovecot's deliver program as the lda for sendmail.
>>  I seem to need a config file for it '/etc/dovecot-deliver.conf'.  Is
>> there any documentation for this configuration file and it's contents?
>>
>> sendmail will call it under the recipient's uid, and all it has to do is
>> drop the message into the proper maildir as defined in /etc/dovecot.conf
>> and update the indexes.
>
> config sendmail to use it like:
> FEATURE(`local_procmail', `pathto/libexec/dovecot/deliver', `deliver -c
> pathto/dovecot/etc/dovecot-deliver.conf -d $u')
> MODIFY_MAILER_FLAGS(`LOCAL', `-f')

I have the following lines in my sendmail.mc

define(`LOCAL_MAILER_PATH', `/usr/libexec/dovecot/deliver')
define(`LOCAL_MAILER_ARGS', `deliver -d $u')
MODIFY_MAILER_FLAGS(`LOCAL', `-f')

which do essentially what you've done.

> Then, in dovecot-deliver.conf, declare the socket to use
> auth_socket_path = pathto/dovecot/var/run/dovecot/auth-master

Done.

> in dovecot.conf, in auth default section, add this:
>     socket listen {
>         master {
>             path = /opt/dovecot/var/run/dovecot/auth-master
>             mode = 0666
>         }
>     }

Done.

> And you're done :)

Not done :(
I get a 'Local configuration error'

> (you can find this info in http://wiki.dovecot.org/LDA )
>
>> Mike

I've read that.  It tells of how to set up deliver as a per-user
solution.  I extrapolated that info plus what you've given me into
something that still doesn't work :(

Any more suggestions or information would be welcome.

As a side note, I notice that the deliver code isn't included in the
last beta release.

Mike