[Dovecot] Login user doesn't exist: dovecot

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Fri Jan 20 14:34:09 EET 2006

On Thursday 19 Jan 2006 22:37, Willem Riede wrote:
> On 01/19/2006 05:11:30 PM, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > I think that maybe I should uninstall it and start again.
>
> Now that you're running Fedora you should use a RPM to install
> dovecot. I can help you with that by getting you my working beta1
> src.rpm to rebuild, if you like.

Hi, William.  Thanks for the offer.  I'm a bit puzzled at the moment as
to where I've actually got to.  This is what's happened:

I had original made an rpm with checkinstall, so I removed the dovecot
user, so that a new install would set it up with the expected UID and
GID, and removed the rpm.

My 'bright' idea was that I would install the official Fedora 0.99.14,
then install 1.0bet1 over it.  I had been assured earlier that it would
install over the executables, so it seemed reasonable.

I got 0.99.14 on, but could not find the dovecot.conf.example or
dovecot.conf to check paths, which worried me a bit, so I thought that
if I attempted a login it would give me errors that would define a
path.  For the first time ever, it logged in!  What's more, I can see
my imap directories on another box.

The only dovecot.conf that I know about is the copy that was
in /home/anne.  What do you think is happening?

If all is working I will leave well alone.  This is to be a temporary
mail server while I do an upgrade.  I don't want to do any more work on
it than I need to, because I will be doing it over again, for a
permanent install, on the upgraded box in a week or so.

Anne