[Dovecot] Mail.app message numbering for deleted messages

Jesse Chan-Norris jcn-dovecot at pith.org
Mon Jan 23 21:00:11 EET 2006

On Mon, 23 Jan 2006, Jesse Chan-Norris wrote:

> On Jan 22, 2006, at 6:44 AM, Timo Sirainen wrote:
>
>       On Mon, 2006-01-16 at 18:29 -0500, jcn-dovecot at pith.org
>       wrote:
>       I'm having a strange problem that appeared when I
>       upgraded from
> > .99something to 1.0alpha3 and then disappeared for a while and then
> > re-appeared when I upgraded to 1.0alpha5.
>
> > I am using mbox and IMAP in Apple's Mail.app to read my mail. When I
> > delete a message in Mail.app, the message gets marked as deleted in the
> > spool and it disappears from the mail listing in Mail. However, the
> > message number does not change until I either manually flush the
> > deleted  messages through mail, or I go offline which deletes the
> > messages from the  spool.
>
> > I have mbox_lazy_writes set to 'no' but this didn't seem to have any
> > effect on the behavior. I never saw this type of behavior with UW-IMAP
> > either, which is what I migrated from.
>

> What do you mean by "message number doesn't change"?
>
> To me this sounds like it all works as it should. Deleted messages are
> really deleted only until expunge command is given, which is done when
> you manually select "purge expunged messages" command or whatever it was
> called in Mail.
>
> Maybe before with UW-IMAP you just had some "automatically expunge
> messages" option set?

I don't think that UW-IMAP was expunging messages because I could open up
the mbox with pine and see all of the messages flagged as "Deleted" but
not yet expunged. And when I try a similar test with Fastmail.fm (delete
the message in Mail, then check using the web interface) the mail is
marked as deleted in the web interface and does not show up in Mail.app
but the messages are re-numbered appropriately.

Granted, I have no idea how Mail.app does its numbering (especially since
Thunderbird doesn't have message numbering), but is it possible that
there's more information that the IMAP server should be sending back that
Dovecot isn't?

I've attached a screenshot from my Mail.app that shows the numbering
issue. The gaps in the message sequence are where a deleted (but not
expunged) message was.

jcn