[Dovecot] Locking strategy?

Wouter Van Hemel wouter-dovecot at publica.duodecim.org
Wed Jan 25 06:34:46 EET 2006

On Sat, 14 Jan 2006 19:06:51 +0100 (CET)
Gerhard Wiesinger <lists at wiesinger.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 14 Jan 2006, Timo Sirainen wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 2006-01-14 at 13:54 +0100, Gerhard Wiesinger wrote:
> >> But I don't think that locking works well. In pine I get the
> >> following error messages:
> >> Unexpected changes to folder (try restarting)
> >
> > Why do you let Pine use the mbox files directly instead of going
> > through IMAP? That'll probably give you faster mailbox opening times
> > as well.
> >

> Yes, in theory a good idea. But i don't want to enter a password again
> when I want to access my mailbox when I'm logged in through ssh.
>
> Is there a secure possibility through imap with pine without entering a
> password on the local host?

Pine can have a password file, although AFAIK its functionality isn't
included in the default build process. It works fine.

When you have unpacked the source, edit pine-x.xx/pine/osdep/os-lnx.h
and add the last line:

#define DEBUGFILE       ".pine-debug"
#define PASSFILE        ".pine.pwd"

... recompile, install and perhaps touch ~/.pine.pwd, if that's still
required. When you start Pine, it will first ask the imap password as
usually, but then it will save it in that file, protected by weak
encryption.

I think you can also specify this option on the build command line instead
of a manual edit, but you'll have to check google for that.

> [...]

Regards,

  Wouter

PS: Make sure to install the most recent version, older versions contain
several security bugs.