[Dovecot] Making dovecot and postfix play together

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Wed Jan 25 21:46:31 EET 2006

I am encountering 'transport problems' in postfix, and I can't tie them
down.  I'm beginning to wonder whether I have conflicting settings in
the various parts of the mail server.  I have been advised separately
by a number of people, so it is entirely possible.  I am, therefore,
attempting to check every detail of my setup.

I was advised to put
'MAIL=/home/$USER/MailDir:INBOX=/var/spool/mail/$USER'
into /etc/profile 'because that's the way that dovecot likes it'.  Is
this correct?  I'm using 0.99.14 on Fedora Core 4.

Dovecot does appear to be working correctly.  I can drag messages to the
mailboxes.  The problem appears to be in postfix.  Fetchmail can
download the messages, but they are sticking in postfix's queue.  I'm
still working on that, but would like confirmation that I was right to
follow the advice given above.

Anne