[Dovecot] nfs and pop3

Marten Lehmann lehmann at cnm.de
Wed Jan 25 23:55:51 EET 2006

Hi,

I'm working with dovecot 1.0.beta2 for pop3 only and have set
index=memory, so no indizes are created on the disk. pop3_uidl_format is
set to %f. The maildirs are located on an nfs-share.
So generally, this setup is very similar to what qmail-popup and
qmail-pop3d does. However, everytime I'm switching from qmail-pop3d to
dovecot, the system load increases from less than 2 to more than 30 (and
later up to 60 and more). The problem is I/O, probably caused by
nfs-access. But what is causing this accesses? qmail-pop3d just takes
filenames as UIDL, and moves the mails from new to cur, reads them to
send them to the client or deletes them. This is working fine.
But what is dovecot doing? There must be a lot more things that cause
that high I/O load. Indizes are disabled, so they cannot be the cause
any longer.
Any ideas? I just want to switch to dovecot at some point finally
without having qmail-pop3d as backup.

Regards
Marten