[Dovecot] Support for Kmail maildir format

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Thu Jan 26 22:03:09 EET 2006

On Thu, 2006-01-26 at 17:35 +0000, Graham Cobb wrote:
> In other words, maildir directories are given the same name as the mail folder
> (with no leading dot) but sub-folders are contained in disk directories
> called .<folder-name>.directory.
>
> I have taken a quick look at the dovecot code and am fairly sure this could be
> handled by a variant on the existing maildir code (e.g. by changes to
> maildir_fill_readdir and other routines).

Sounds pretty weird format, but yes, should be pretty simple to change
Dovecot to handle that. But at least currently I don't want to accept
any such patch to main Dovecot distribution.

I think it should be enough to change maildir_fill_readdir() for
listing, and for opening/deleting/renaming just fix all the code in
maildir-storage.c which contains MAILDIR_FS_SEP_S.

> Has anyone tried this?

I doubt it :)

And does kmail work worse via IMAP, or why aren't you just renaming the
folders to Maildir++ format and make all mail access through Dovecot?