[Dovecot] extremely slow delete/move operations?

Udo Rader udo.rader at bestsolution.at
Mon Jan 30 21:59:42 EET 2006

On Mon, 2006-01-30 at 11:12 -0800, Gregory K. Ruiz-Ade wrote:
> John Peacock wrote:
> > Those are the two most important pieces of information in your message
> The thing is, these mail servers _are_ the local storage for the mail spools
> and home directories.  There is no network involved when dovecot is
> accessing the INBOX or saved mail folders.  Yes, they're "NFS" mounted, but
> this is RHEL4 (linux 2.6.x), and when an NFS share is mounted from the local
> host, it's done as a bind mount, which means local disk access.

Depends on the nfs implementation you are using. But the main drawback
here is certainly that you add the entire NFS protocol overhead for
local operations.

Why not mount the shares with the bind option directly?

> > Then there is the additional performance drag caused by Dovecot
> > rewriting the index, as well as Thunderbird (which you should really
> > upgrade to 1.5) keeping its local index up to date.  You can confirm
> > this by emptying your trash folder and seeing if the performance changes
> > (which I am confident it will).
>
> Should I then wonder about turning off Dovecot's indexing?  If that's a
> "performance drag"...

> Upgrading Thunderbird may not be so simple, either.  These same clients were

yet it might be a good test case. I personally experienced a dramatic
increase in speed with my >700M mbox ...

regards

Udo Rader

udo rader              technischer leiter/CTO   mobile  ++43 660 5263642
eduard-bodem-gasse 8/3    A-6020 innsbruck      fax      ++43 512 935833
http://www.bestsolution.at                      phone    ++43 512 935834