[Dovecot] writing a plugin for LDA to chain Unix pipes

martin f krafft madduck at madduck.net
Sat Jul 1 20:00:01 EEST 2006

Thank you, Marcus and Timothy, for your replies!

also sprach Marcus Rueckert <rueckert at informatik.uni-rostock.de> [2006.07.01.0517 +0200]:
> run them in your MTA before pushing stuff into the LDA?
> e.g. i deliver incoming via lmtp to dspam. dspam reinjects the mail into
> postfix. and postfix calls dovecot-lda to deliver the mail.

Then it's not per-user, or at least I could not figure out how to do
this properly with postfix.

also sprach Timothy White <dovecot.user at weirdo.bur.st> [2006.07.01.0931 +0200]:
> I have to agree. This isn't a LDA function. Content filters are a MTA
> function.

Okay, all the better, then I don't have to write the plugin. :)

> You should be able to pipe all the filters together, so in
> your call to dovecot-lda in your mta, it just changes into one big
> pipe... For example
>
> `dspam --stdout| dovecot-lda -d $u`
> or
> `spamassasin | custom filter| dovecot-lda`

I read somewhere on the net that this is pretty flakey and will fail
badly in the case of intermittent errors, but I cannot find the
reference anymore. Is anyone using this with success?

Also, the above spawns an expensive shell process, doesn't it?

  \____ echo mailto: !#^."<*>"|tr "<*> mailto:" net at madduck

spamtraps: madduck.bogus at madduck.net

"for art to exist, for any sort of aesthetic activity or perception to
 exist, a certain physiological precondition is indispensable:
 intoxication."
                                                -- friedrich nietzsche