[Dovecot] dovecot-lda, sieve, maildir

Peter Fern dovecot at obfusc8.org
Tue Jul 4 10:19:25 EEST 2006

Frank Cusack wrote:
> On July 3, 2006 11:55:38 PM -0700 Frank Cusack <fcusack at fcusack.com>
> wrote:
>> On July 3, 2006 11:56:00 AM +1000 Peter Fern <dovecot at obfusc8.org>
>> wrote:

>>> Maildirs work fine, example:
>>
>> hmm, not for me.  Here's the entirety of my .dovecot.sieve:
>>
>> require ["fileinto", "vacation"];
>>
>> # test
>> if address :is "from" "user at list.org" {
>>   fileinto "fcusack/inbox";
>> }
>>

>> If I start from scratch and create ~/Mail, I can send a test message
>> which gets filed correctly (new subdir fcusack is created with new
>> mbox file inbox).
>>
>> If I start from scratch and create ~/Maildir, the same message is
>> created
>> in ~/Maildir/new.  Even if I create ~/Maildir/.fcusack.inbox the message
>> is not filed there.
>>
>> Any ideas what might be wrong?
>
> And of course, as soon as I sent the last email I figured it out.  Using
> '.' instead of '/' as folder separator fixed it.  Why does Maildir
> require
> a different folder separator?  Isn't this a bug?
>
> -frank

If you look at maildirs on disk, they are actually structured
.folder.subfolder.subsubfolder, so it makes sense to me...  procmail and
sieve both require you to name your destinations as they appear on disk,
so I certainly wouldn't consider it a bug.  The example you give should
be altered to:

# test
if address :is "from" "user at list.org" {
  fileinto "fcusack";
}

rather than:

# test
if address :is "from" "user at list.org" {
  fileinto "fcusack.inbox";
}

since .fcusack.inbox would actually give you the following tree structure:

INBOX
fcusack
    inbox

Read up a little on Maildirs...