[Dovecot] subscription to mail folders not working properly anymore with dovecot1.0x ?

Alain Hofer hofer at glue.ch
Tue Jul 4 16:38:42 EEST 2006

As far as I understood the docs, dovecot still uses the .subscriptions
file in our case: we do use the 'mbox' format to store the mails, not
'maildir'.

The '.subscription' file is being perfectly read in (so it must be found),
only when attempting to make any changes to the subscriptions, it vanishes.
-> see last posting (answer to timo's feedback) and the included
   truss dump.

thx for your feedback, cheers, Alain

> On 2006-06-30 11:41:18 +0200, Alain Hofer wrote:
> > With dovecot_1.0 the subscriptions get properly read, but as soon as
> > the user wants to make any changes to them (for example subscribing
> > to a new folder out of thunderbird), the subscriptions get lost, the
> > file <usershome>/Mail/.subscriptions simply disappears.
> >
> > Did I miss any point in the configuration? Or does someone else encounter
> > the same problem?
>
> Maildir/subscriptions is used now. ".subscriptions" collides with the
> maildir naming scheme.
>
> for /home i in $(find -type f -name .subscriptions) ; do
>     cp -v "$i" "${i//.subscriptions/subscriptions}"
> done
>
> or something similar should help you.
>
> darix
>
> --
>            openSUSE - SUSE Linux is my linux
>                openSUSE is good for you
>                    www.opensuse.org

-- Alain Hofer (PM webETV)
  / ____/ /   / / / / ____/   GLUE Software Engineering AG
 / / __/ /   / / / / __/     Zieglerstr. 34, 3007 Bern,  Switzerland
/ /_/ / /___/ /_/ / /___    Phone: +41-(0)31/385 3011     Fax: 3018
\____/_____/\____/_____/___mailto:hofer at glue.ch http://www.glue.ch