[Dovecot] dovecot-lda, sieve, maildir

Frank Cusack fcusack at fcusack.com
Tue Jul 4 21:33:19 EEST 2006

On July 4, 2006 11:27:18 AM -0700 Frank Cusack <fcusack at fcusack.com> wrote:
> On July 4, 2006 1:24:46 PM +0300 Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi> wrote:
>> On Jul 4, 2006, at 9:57 AM, Frank Cusack wrote:
>>
>>> And of course, as soon as I sent the last email I figured it out.
>>> Using
>>> '.' instead of '/' as folder separator fixed it.  Why does Maildir
>>> require
>>> a different folder separator?  Isn't this a bug?
>>
>> Create a namespace with a '/' separator if you want to change it. The  default is '.' because
>> that's what the separator is on the disk.
>>

> Why does it work for mbox?  Because for mbox the on-disk separator is '/'?
> That seems like a bug (UI issue).  My .sieve shouldn't be sensitive to the
> specifics of the mailbox format.

One last thing, I thought '/' was the default, from this comment in the
default dovecot.conf:

   # Hierarchy separator to use. You should use the same separator for all
   # namespaces or some clients get confused. '/' is usually a good one.
   #separator = /

-frank