[Dovecot] FW: Postfix Dovecot MySQL user/pass authentication:: Password Mismatch

Brad Staszcuk brad at killbrad.com
Thu Jul 6 02:44:59 EEST 2006

Having some difficulty with this one:

I have Postfix setup, with a web interface for postfixadmin.  Both Dovecot
and Postfix are setup to use the same MySQL database to authenticate users.
Only SSL connections are allowed, so I use PLAIN/cleartext as my password
type.

Setting up users works correctly from Postfixadmin, and Dovecot recognizes
the users and their respective directories, however, when I try to connect
from an email client (Outlook in this case) I get the following errors in my
log after enabling verbose debugging and auth logging:

dovecot: Jul 05 17:00:00 Info: auth(default): client in: AUTH  1   PLAIN
service=POP3   secured  lip=192.168.0.10  ....
dovecot: Jul 05 17:00:00 Info: auth-worker(default)
sql(admin at domain.com,192.168.0.15): query: ....
dovecot: Jul 05 17:00:00 Info: auth-worker(default)
sql(admin at domain.com,192.168.0.15): Password mismatch
dovecot: Jul 05 17:00:00 Info: auth-worker(default)
sql(admin at domain.com,192.168.0.15): PLAIN-MD5 (testingpassword) !=
'testingpassword'
dovecot: Jul 05 17:00:00 Info: auth(default): client out: FAIL 1
user=admin at domain.com
dovecot: Jul 05 17:00:00 Info: pop3-login: Disconnected:
user=<admin at domain.com>, method=PLAIN, rip=192.168. ....

Any suggestions?

It seems like the passwords match, as it prints them both and they are the
same, but for some reason it is failing when comparing them... I'm at a
loss, and I can't seem to find anyone else who has had quite this issue.

CentOS 4.3 if that helps, newest builds of dovecot and postfix downloaded
and compiled today, both correctly with mysql and sasl support.

I appreciate any input..

- Brad