[Dovecot] New User: POP3 issues

Odhiambo WASHINGTON wash at wananchi.com
Sun Jul 9 23:00:31 EEST 2006

* On 09/07/06 12:32 -0700, kyrrin at bluefeathertech.com wrote:
| Fellow dovecot'ers,
|
| I'm just getting started with Dovecot, and I'm not a programmer, so please be
| gentle. ;-)
|
| THE PLATFORM: NetBSD 3.0/SPARC, Postfix 2.3-RC8, current Dovecot RC (I
| forgot the number). Maildir-type directories.
|
| THE GOAL: To accommodate authenticated (remote) POP3 users with APOP or
| SSL/TLS, and allow users on the internal network (192.168.x.x) to just use basic
| POP3 without worrying about authentication.
|
| QUESTIONS:
|
| (1) Does the dovecot master daemon have to be running in order to call pop3-
| login from inetd, in response to POP connection attempts? If so, it could be a
| problem. I'm getting this error when I try to start the thing.
|
| featherweb: {339} /usr/local/sbin/dovecot
| Fatal: listen(110) failed: Address already in use
| featherweb: {340}

That means another daemon is already using/listening on port 110. Check
if another pop3 daemon is installed and running and disable it!

| (2) For apop authentication, how do I go about generating the shared secret file
| locally, for each user? Is there a script that came with dovecot or...?

I have never done apop auth so I have no answer. You could try the options
in the wiki -

http://wiki.dovecot.org/PopBSMTPAndDovecot
http://wanderingbarque.com/howtos/mailserver/mailserver.html

[you could get one or two clues. I am sure apop is not the only option
you want]

| (3) Is there a trick, similar to postfix's 'postconf -n,' that will give a condensed
| output of dovecot's configuration file?

egrep -v '^[[:space:]]*(#|$)' /usr/local/etc/dovecot.conf

| (4) I'm currently using sasl auth for Postfix's SMTP auth function. How difficult is it
| to use Dovecot for the same thing?

I have not done it, but I use Exim, not Postfix.

| (5) GAAAAHHHHH! (Just on general principles, based on the hours I've spent
| trying to get everything working).

Have you checked the wiki for many hours, amongst those you've spent, did you spend
reading the documentation/tips on the Dovecot Wiki?

http://wiki.dovecot.org/

-Wash

DISCLAIMER: See http://www.wananchi.com/bms/terms.php

--
    |\      _,,,---,,_     | Odhiambo Washington    <wash at wananchi.com>
   |,4-  ) )-,_. ,\ (  `'-'| Tel: +254 20 313985-9  +254 20 313922
  '---''(_/--'  `-'\_)     | GSM: +254 722 743223   +254 733 744121

"If you can count your money, you don't have a billion dollars."
		-- J. Paul Getty