[Dovecot] Authentication error with corrections

Bruce Lane kyrrin at bluefeathertech.com
Tue Jul 11 04:53:36 EEST 2006

Hi, Petar,

On 10-Jul-06 at 22:19 Petar Bogdanovic wrote:

>Bruce Lane wrote:

	<snippety>

>> I don't have any more time to mess with it this morning, but I will
>> make it a point to try 'shadow' when I get in this evening. It's
>> possible that NetBSD wants to work that way.

>$ uname -rs
>NetBSD 3.0
>$ egrep -A 1 -B 2 'passwd \{' dovecot.conf.ssl
>   # In many systems nowadays this uses Name Service Switch, which is
>   # configured in /etc/nsswitch.conf.
>   passdb passwd {
>   }
>--
>   # In many systems nowadays this uses Name Service Switch, which is
>   # configured in /etc/nsswitch.conf.
>   userdb passwd {
>   }
>
>Without problems.

	Hmmmmm... And this serves to authenticate pop3s users for you?

	There must be something pretty different about your setup. Either that, or I've got something going here that I'm not aware of. This is the pertinent section of my configuration file, located in /usr/local/etc/dovecot.conf.

auth default {
  # Space separated list of wanted authentication mechanisms:
  #   plain login digest-md5 cram-md5 ntlm rpa apop anonymous gssapi
  mechanisms = plain login
  passdb passwd {
  }
  userdb passwd {
  }
  socket listen {
        client {
        path = /var/spool/postfix/private/auth
        mode = 0660
        user = postfix
        group = postfix
  }
 }
}

	As you can tell, I've got it set up for passwd in both cases. However, every time I try to use pop3s, I get password failure notices from the client (Pegasus mail, in this case).

	Further help appreciated. Thanks much.