[Dovecot] Shared folders not woking for me

Nagy László nagylzs at enternet.hu
Tue Jul 11 20:36:41 EEST 2006

  Hello,

I'm new to dovecot, please forgive me my silly questions. :-)

My OS is FreeBSD 6.1. I just installed dovecot 1.0.beta9. I have created
a public namespace this way:

namespace public {
  separator = /
  prefix = Public/
  location = maildir:/var/mail/public
}

namespace private {
   separator = /
   prefix =
   location = maildir:/home/%u/Maildir
   inbox = yes
}

Then I created a new group and added a user to it:

pw groupadd das
pw usermod testuser -g das

Then I created some files in /var/mail/public:

drwxrwx---  2 testuser  das   512 Jul 11 19:22 Tasks
drwx------  2 testuser  mail  512 Jul 11 19:20 cur
drwxrwx---  2 testuser  das   512 Jul 11 19:24 dovecot-shared
drwx------  2 testuser  mail  512 Jul 11 19:20 new
drwx------  2 testuser  mail  512 Jul 11 19:20 tmp

Then I restarted dovecot, and I tried to subscribe to 'Tasks', but my email client (Thunderbird 1.5) does not allow it.

My other problem is about the "inbox = yes" setting. The private namespace does have an inbox, and it shows up in thunderbird.
But it does not show my e-mails. I know that I have emails, I can read them with the 'mail' command.

Please help me.

   Laszlo