[Dovecot] Shared folders not woking for me

Peter A. Giessel pgiessel at mac.com
Tue Jul 11 20:57:38 EEST 2006

On 7/11/2006 09:36, Nagy László seems to have typed:
> namespace private {
>    separator = /
>    prefix =
>    location = maildir:/home/%u/Maildir
>    inbox = yes

[snip]

> My other problem is about the "inbox = yes" setting. The private namespace does have an inbox, and it shows up in thunderbird.
> But it does not show my e-mails. I know that I have emails, I can read them with the 'mail' command.

I don't know about the shared mailboxes section, but from the "private"
section, it looks like you are trying to have Dovecot use maildir, but
if you are getting mail using the "mail" command, then you are using
mbox not maildirs.

To setup the system to use maildir, I had to recompile procmail.

If you want to do this, I did the following (FreeBSD 6.1) (as root):

cd /usr/ports/mail/procmail

make

emacs /usr/ports/mail/procmail/work/procmail-3.xx/src/authenticate.c
# (where xx) is some numbers corresponding to whatever version is in
your ports.)
# Change Lines 41-51:
**********
/*#ifndef MAILSPOOLDIR */
#define MAILSPOOLDIR    "/usr/mail/"         /* watch the trailing / */
/*#endif */
/*#ifndef MAILSPOOLSUFFIX */
#define MAILSPOOLSUFFIX "/"           /* suffix to force maildir or MH style */
/*#endif */
#ifndef MAILSPOOLHASH
#define MAILSPOOLHASH   0      /* 2 would deliver to /var/spool/mail/b/a/bar */
#endif
/*#define MAILSPOOLHOME "/.mail"                      /* watch the leading / */

cd /usr/ports/mail/procmail/work/procmail-3.xx/src/
make
cd /usr/ports/mail/procmail/
make install

# This will cause the mail to be delivered to maildir:/usr/mail/%u

hth