[Dovecot] Squirrelmail Change Dovecot Password Plugin

Peter A. Giessel pgiessel at mac.com
Thu Jul 13 19:20:56 EEST 2006

On 7/13/2006 07:42, Cecil S. Nutakor seems to have typed:
> After a moment i noticed that i could make the users change their own
> passwords using squirrelmail, but unfortunatly for me after googling
> around the Internet and also visiting squirrelmail plugin page i could not
> find a change Dovecot password plugin for squirrelmail.

Having a plugin that allows squirrelmail to change Dovecot's password
would depend entirely on how you have your Dovecot passwords stored.

If your Dovecot passwords are stored as system passwords, then you would
have to allow PHP (squirrelmail) to change system passwords.  Currently,
I have SQL store my Dovecot passwords (which are actually used for
a lot of different authentication purposes), so it was trivial to write
a page that allows users to change the password in the SQL database and
would be easy to add this to squirrelmail if you wanted, but given how
many ways that Dovecot can use for authentication, a generic plugin that
works for all of them would be extraordinarily difficult (and a security
risk for some of the password storage methods - you don't want PHP to
be able to edit your /etc/passwd if you are using *BSD/*nix)