[Dovecot] Postfix Virtual Users and Directory Permissions

Michael Starks dovecot at michaelstarks.com
Mon Jul 17 20:14:13 EEST 2006

I have followed the instruction here:
http://www.postfix.org/VIRTUAL_README.html#virtual_mailbox

There are five virtual domains configured and each directory containing
each domain is owned by one UID/UID with permissions of 700.  I can send
mail to each domain and it is stored in the appropriate Maildir under
the correct directory.  The system is OpenBSD 3.8 STABLE.  So far, so good.

Now comes Dovecot.  What I would like to do is to have one set of
credentials for 4 of the domains, and another for the remaining.  I
would also like to *not* use a database backend for authentication at
this time and would prefer to stick with standard UNIX /etc/passwd and
/etc/shadow.

Considering the directories are all owned by one user, does Dovecot need
to be configured to use the same user as auth_userdb = static?  That
would make sense.

What I'm not clear on is how Dovecot would know which domains are
associated with which user, and does the user need permissions to those
directories or is that handled by impersonation?

Thanks in advance.