[Dovecot] access to root mail through Dovecot on VPS

Curtis Maloney cmaloney at cardgate.net
Tue Jul 18 03:03:10 EEST 2006

surabaja at gmail.com wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I just installed dovecot and postfix on a Fedora Core VPS.
> The VPS will not allow me to ssh directly as user "root"
> i.e.: I must first login as a non-root user and then "su" into root.
> My question is: is there a way to read my root mail through
> Dovecot ? How should I setup the Thunderbird account ?

It's my understanding that it's generally considered "poor form" to have mail
actually delivered to root.  Mostly, mail destined for root should be aliased to
be delivered to a normal user, or set of users, to whom it's relevant.

You will also find that Dovecot has a minimum UID setting, to not allow accounts
below that UID to log in AT ALL.  This is to prevent all sorts of headaches and
possible security woes of people logging in as, say, 'bin' or 'adm', and messing
  things up.

--
Curtis Maloney
cmaloney at cardgate.net