[Dovecot] Empty messages in 1.0RC2

Apostolos Papayanakis apap at ccf.auth.gr
Tue Jul 18 15:13:35 EEST 2006

Renaud Allard wrote:

> Message: 1
> Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 10:03:28 +0200
> From: Renaud Allard
> Subject: [Dovecot] Empty messages in 1.0RC2
> To: dovecot at dovecot.org
>
> Hello,
>
> I am running 1.0RC2 (upgrade from a beta, so I haven't tested RC1
> unfortunately). I sometimes get empty messages in my inbox folder. Mails
> are stored using Maildir. Here is an output of a ls -la ~/Maildir/cur
>
> -rw-------   1 n  users     0 Jul 18 09:31
> _CFC+Y5IvEB.gandalf.llorien.org:2,
> -rw-------   1 n  users     0 Jul 18 09:28
> _bEG+A2IvEB.gandalf.llorien.org:2,
> -rw-------   1 n  users     0 Jul 18 09:54
> _ezF+eOJvEB.gandalf.llorien.org:2,
> -rw-------   1 n  users  2246 Jul 18 08:10 msg.f23:2,RSa
>
> There is one real message (the last one). All messages seems to have
> strange file names names, even the real one. Messages delivered by the
> MTA generally have a name like
> 1152736772.H956194P17632.mail.llorien.org:2,RS
>
> There is nothing in the SMTP server logs that could suggest these empty
> mails are delivered with SMTP and only dovecot version has changed. So I
> guess this is dovecot related. My IMAP client is thunderbird on Linux,
> but I have also seen the problem with sylpheed on OpenBSD.
>
> Any help or hint appreciated.

These filenames mey be related to procmail temporary files created
during delivery:

Try an strace (or equivalent) like this:

$ strace procmail </dev/null 2>&1|grep O_EXCL
open("/var/mu/apap/Maildir/_YgG.ZvMvEB.hyperion",
O_WRONLY|O_CREAT|O_EXCL, 0444) ...

Are you using procmail? If yes, something may be breaking it.

Apostolis Papagiannakis