[Dovecot] /var/spool/mail directory size and subdirectories

Johannes Berg johannes at sipsolutions.net
Wed Jul 19 18:28:34 EEST 2006

On Wed, 2006-07-19 at 15:49 +0100, David Lee wrote:

> Is there some means in the "dovecot.conf" file to specify an INBOX pattern
> as "/var/spool/mail/%ZZZ%/%u" where "%ZZZ%" could be algorithmically
> specified as (say) "user-uid mod 100"?

If all your uids are a fixed number of digits you could do
default_mail_env = /var/spool/mail/%3.2i/%u
(if all uids are 5 digits long)

The closest other scheme based on UIDs I can think of is %.2Ri, which
gives you the last two digits of the UID (i.e. uid mod 100) but in
reverse, so for uid 1234 it'd give you 43.

Depending on what other tools you use, you could also use the hash (H)
modifier, but maybe your delivery agent can't do that (unless of course
you plan to use dovecot-lda too)

Hope that helps,
johannes