[Dovecot] My view on 1.0 release and version numbering

Dominic Lepiane dlepiane at irmacs.sfu.ca
Fri Jul 21 20:47:30 EEST 2006

On Friday 21 July 2006 10:04, Marc Perkel wrote:
> Just throwing out some thoughts here. I know Timo has high standards and
> is trying to make 1.0 bug free before calling it 1.0. But I want to
> argue for an earlier less perfect 1.0.
>
> Dovecot is already way past the quality of most 1.0 releases. So it is
> good enough by common standards. No one really expects a 1.0 release to
> be perfect. But - some people don't consider a product ripe until it
> reaches 1.0. Once you cross the line then more people will pick it up
> and you will get more bug reports because of a larger base. This would
> actually accelerate the debugging process. And it will spur acceptance
> of the product and perhaps bring in more developer resources.
>
> Generally 1.0 is still buggy. It is usually followed quickly with 1.0.1,
> 1.0.2 ... and then stabilizes. Then as more people ask for new features
> it spawns 1.1.0 which is somewhat buggy and then 1.1.1 and by 1.1.2 it's
> rock solid.
>
> So - I'm not suggesting Timo go to 1.0 immediately. I'm just saying that
> I think it's pretty ripe and sooner is better than later.
>
> My 2 centz ...

I think, as has been mentioned before, Dovecot is getting pretty close
already.  I want to get 1.0 adopted where I work and will be happier if there
are less problems with 1.0 than if 1.0 comes earlier and I have to start
deploying patches already.  Just because private sector vendors set the bar
low doesn't mean Timo should.  From activity on this list, it seems like
we're within weeks or months no matter what so I say don't rush.  That's soon
enough.

Like Marc, I'm not saying what should happen.  I'm not suggesting we wait
until the sun burns out for The Perfect Release, but the v1 release doesn't
need to be rushed.

There's my 2 cents :D

--
Dominic Lepiane