[Dovecot] Dovecot IMAP and Mac OS X Mail.app

Jon Callas jon at callas.org
Fri Jul 28 01:07:35 EEST 2006

On 25 Jul 2006, at 3:03 AM, Ronny Adsetts wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I recently switched our Courier IMAP server over to Dovecot
> primarily for
> performance reasons. Server OS is Debian Sarge with Dovecot
> packages from
> backports.org (v 1.0.rc2-1bpo1).
>
> Access from Thunderbird and Horde worked fine with some shared folders
> defined and the Courier compatibility private folder stanza. Initial
> testing with Mail.app showed that, although the folder listing was
> fetched
> correctly including all shared folders, no mail could be viewed with
> Mail.app timing out with an error about invalid namespace. (I'll
> post the
> exact error message as a follow up when I can test again later).
>
> After searching the mailing list for a while, I came upon a message
> suggesting adding a second private namespace like so:
>
> namespace private {
>    separator = .
>    prefix = "INBOX."
>    inbox = yes
>    hidden = no
> }
>
> namespace private {
>   separator = .
>   prefix =
>   inbox = yes
>   hidden = yes
> }
>
> Now, this does work in a fashion and allows Mail.app to access the
> folders and mail. Problem with this config:
>
> * Mail.app displays all INBOX. folders at the top level *and* below
> Inbox
> * Thunderbird displays a spurious INBOX folder in the folder
> listing under
> Inbox.
> * Horde displays folders at the top level and below Inbox.
>
> Whilst not being a huge problem for our internal mail server, this
> is not
> optimal.
>
> Has anyone else had these or similar problems and managed to work them
> out? If so, how did you configure Dovecot or the clients to all play
> nicely together?
>
> I'd quite like to roll Dovecot out on our client mail server but I
> need to
> work this out first so any help is appreciated.

I use Dovecot with Mail.app. In fact, I got your email that way. I
moved all my mail from the old server I was using to Dovecot with
Thunderbird. I didn't do anything special. It just worked. If you
want to contact me off-list and see what my config file looks like or
something, I'm willing to lend a hand.

	Jon