[Dovecot] dovecot-1.0.rc2 problems with Thunderbird

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Mon Jul 31 14:30:15 EEST 2006

On Sun, 2006-07-30 at 18:48 -0700, Pete Slagle wrote:
> I posted about this previously, but for whatever reason there hasn't
> been much of a response.
>
> I upgraded from beta8 to rc2, and dovecot IMAP went from being fast
> and responsive to being painfully slow and often hanging Thunderbird. (I
> made no configuration changes to my dovecot configuration file which is
> here: http:/x15.us/dovecot.conf)
>
> The main issue seems to be about deleting messages (or moving them).
> Delete operations often, but not always, hang for many seconds or
> minutes.

Could you start tracing the imap process when it happens, stop it when
it's over and show me the results? Also is the process at the time
eating all the CPU? Is the memory usage growing?

See http://wiki.dovecot.org/Debugging/ProcessTracing

> I did a little experimentation and found a sure work around: I stop the
> dovecot server, run 'rm ~/Maildir/dov*' on my server home directory, and
> restart dovecot. The problems are immediately gone, for a while, then
> they gradually return. This seems to indicate there is some kind of
> index problem or corruption on the server side, but I'm not certain.

Well, that removed both the index files and dovecot-uidlist file. If you
only remove dovecot.index* does it fix it? What if you remove only
dovecot.index.cache?

How large are those dovecot* files when it's running slow?