[Dovecot] Duplicate Attachments....

Thu Jun 1 14:45:15 EEST 2006

Love Dovecot, many thanks for it!

But, I have a question regarding the storing of emails, with respect to
efficiency...

Our business model (advertising industry) is such that our users
exchange a lot of emails with attachments - most less than a megabyte,
but some considerably larger. Consequently, I have been looking for a
good, open source imap server that doesn't store multiple copies of the
same attachment - but instead, stores a checksum, and whenever a message
is stored with a duplicate attachment, the attachment is stored only
once, and simply referenced by some kind of link to other emails.

This would *drastically* reduce the storage requirements for our company
- imagine a message with a 10MB attachment, sent to 40 of our users,
sometimes more than once. Now multiply this by 3 times per day, for 5
years...

Are there any plans for Dovecot to support this type of storage in the
future? Does this require the use of an SQL DB for storing the message
components?

--

Best regards,

Charles