[Dovecot] vpopmail

C J Kenneth Tan -- OptimaNumerics cjtan at OptimaNumerics.com
Mon Jun 5 23:11:52 EEST 2006

Matthias,

On 2006-06-05 18:04 +0200 Matthias Andree (matthias.andree at gmx.de) wrote:

> C J Kenneth Tan -- OptimaNumerics <cjtan at OptimaNumerics.com> writes:
>
> > I see the argument.  The objective here is to allow relay by Linux
> > laptops running qmail
>
> Not a good idea. <http://home.pages.de/~mandree/qmail-bugs.html>

What is not a good idea?  Allowing relay?  Linux laptops?  qmail?  If
qmail is not a good idea, then unfortunately this is an "unmovable"
item.  We have a number of things in our environment that prevents us
from making such changes, especially given the timescales.

> > which receive mail from Pine running on the laptops.  SMTP server
> > would have SMTP level virus and spam check to counter this problem.
>
> Euh, "alleviate" the problem at best. Virus scanners only work against
> known viruses. The gap between a new one and your virus scanner being
> updated can be several days too long for SMTP... the problem starts as
> the first Windows laptop joins your network, and by then, the
> POP-before-SMTP problem will be forgotten.

I understand the argument.  The environment that we are talking about
here consists of Linux laptops, which I have mentioned before, and
OpenBSD and Linux mail hosts.  Also, while I understand that past
performance is no indication of future response times, ClamAV and
F-Prot seem to have fairly prompt response.

Correct me if I am wrong, but this seem to have little to do with the
fact that vpopmail authentication to enable POP-before-SMTP in Dovecot
1.0.beta3 and 1.0.beta8 changed.

Ken