[Dovecot] Using MySQL to store email?

Marc Perkel marc at perkel.com
Wed Jun 7 17:21:07 EEST 2006

Timo,

the idea of a MySQL backend isn't because you want to win a speed
contest against other storage methods. The idea is because with MySQL
you can do things that would be nearly impossible without a database.
There are things I'd like to do that are basically unthinkable now.
Databases would allow me to do indexing on a whole new level. I could
add awesome featues to my email system and it would be incredible for
spam control.

On example for spam control. Suppose a spam attack comes in delivering
the same spam to thousands of users. And suppose that my system didn't
realise it was a spam until after the spam was delivered. I could delete
all email from that host for all users in seconds if I make the sender's
host address a key field. You can't block spam retroactively without a
database.