[Dovecot] Using MySQL to store email?

Marc Perkel marc at perkel.com
Wed Jun 7 18:22:06 EEST 2006

nodata wrote:
>> Here's an example of what I would do with a MySQL backend.
>>
>> I have an inbox where I get email for a wide variety of subjects. One of
>> those classifications are customers. So I would create a customers
>> folder and have a rule that if an incoming email from address match any
>> email address in my customers folder then the mail would be delivered
>> there. That way if I get a new customer then all I have to do is drag
>> the first message into the customers folder and all other mail from that
>> person would go into that folder.
>>
>> To do this with MySQL would be trivial. To do it without a database
>> isn't possible.
>>

> You can do this with mail rules.

But you would have to add a rule for each new customer. What I'm talking
about is that the presence of email in the folder would determine what
new email would be delivered into that folder - without writing a rule.
Dragging a message into the folder makes all future message from that
sender go to that folder.