[Dovecot] Using MySQL to store email?

Lev Serebryakov lev at serebryakov.spb.ru
Wed Jun 7 22:03:55 EEST 2006

Hello Marc,

MP> This issue isn't performance, it's power.
  Here are one practical problem: indexes (read: database schema), which aare good for your tasks will be totally useless fot other one tasks. So, if somebody, but you, write mySQL/PgSQL/WhateverSQL storage for dovecot, here will be GREAT chance, that this storage doesn't allow you to solve your `power' taskw without deep hacking, kludges, etc.
  And `very generic schema, good for any imaginable query' means `abstract spherical horse in vacuum* not useful for any real-world task'. And it also means `terrible performance even for non-power every-day tasks', too.

[*] This is pharse from russian joke (may be not only russian, I don't known) which looks like:

 Three scientists win grants for prediction results of trots. They are PgD of biology, PhD of statistic and PhD of theoretica physic. After year of work, organisation, which provide grants, requests for results.

 Biologist: I examined many trotters, good ones and bad ones, and found some rules, which allow predict result of trots by physical conditions of horses.
 Statistician: I examined many results of previous trots and found some rules, which allow predict results of future trots by previous results of horses.
 Physicist: I need more time. But now I have model of spherical horse in vacuum.

--
Best regards,
 Lev                            mailto:lev at serebryakov.spb.ru