[Dovecot] Trash expire plugin

Mark E. Mallett mem at mv.mv.com
Thu Jun 8 22:11:55 EEST 2006

On Thu, Jun 08, 2006 at 06:32:35PM +0300, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-06-08 at 17:33 +0300, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> > 3) Add a new field to index file which contains the date when the
> > message was copied. This could be done only for those Trash/Spam boxes
> > so they don't waste space for other mailboxes. The problem with this is
> > that it won't work if there are no index files. To overcome that problem
> > the time could be stored in yet another place, such as maildir filename
> > and some new mbox header. I don't see supporting those as worth the
> > trouble though, so the fallback could be either the date index file is
> > created or the messages' INTERNALDATE.
>
> Actually for maildir the time is in file's ctime, so that would be a
> good fallback. For dbox I could add a new field if people think it is
> useful (might be useful for other purposes also?).

Are you saying you are using ctime for the INTERNALDATE (or as its
fallback)?  I would think mtime would be better for that, since it
shouldn't change with a folder move or other non-data-altering
manipulations.  And that would leave ctime free for the fallback for the
expiry clock:  since it *does* change with a folder move, flag change,
etc, it would match what people would expect.  Unless I'm wrong :)

No opinions on non-maildir, you'd have to make something up.

mm