[Dovecot] Outside mails

Lorens dovecot.fdop at tagged.lorens.org
Sun Jun 11 20:40:18 EEST 2006

On Sun, Jun 11, 2006 at 07:50:05PM +0300, Tolga wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I can't think of what's wrong with my postfix configuration. I built
> main.cf using postconf -d > main.cf. Anyway, it's at
> http://www.kunduz.org/main.cf which I hope you'll take a look and tell
> me what's wrong. It works well with Thunderbird and mutt.

Thunderbird and mutt don't have a lot to do with postfix, and
dovecot is not the problem here, but well.

postfix -n would have been easier to read.

	myhostname = mail.kunduz.org
	mydomain = kunduz.org

MX for kunduz.org is mail.kunduz.org which is 85.97.118.195,
that seems not to be the problem (but dnsreport.com will have a
lot of nasty things to say about your domain setup, you should
correct accordingly).

I have the feeling that mydomain is not taken into account
when receiving mail, which means that your postfix is not
configured to recive mail for mtozses at kunduz.org, but only
for mtozses at mail.kunduz.org, mtozses at localhost.kunduz.org,
mtozses at localhost, which my crystal ball tells me isn't quite
what you you want.

If correcting that doesn't solve the problem, try to deliver
mail to your host from the outside using telnet to port 25, save
the session and the corresponding postfix logs, do the same
thing with a local mail (those that work, tcpdump them if you
can't figure out what is sent), look over those traces, compare
the ones that succeed to the ones that don't, and you should
be able to find the problem. If you don't, postfix lists are
probably a better place to ask than here.

HTH.