[Dovecot] Re: LDA Questions

Steffen Kaiser skdovecot at smail.inf.fh-bonn-rhein-sieg.de
Mon Jun 12 13:36:52 EEST 2006

On Sun, 11 Jun 2006, Timo Sirainen wrote:

> On Wed, 2006-06-07 at 10:20 +0800, Timothy White wrote:
>> On 4/13/06, Timothy White <dovecot.user at weirdo.bur.st> wrote:
>>> Firstly, if you're out of quota for example, and using postfix, will
>>> it need to send a bounce email, or will it do the out of quota error
>>> at SMTP time? (preferred)

The LDA is called after the SMTP dialogue, at least for sendmail.
Local mail is first spooled, then tried to be delivered.

For sendmail one can use the milter interface in order to tweak the
handling during the SMTP dialogue, e.g. MIMEDefang (www.mimedefang.org).

> Currently it sends a reject message in any case. I guess it could be
> changed to (optionally?) return the error message to caller instead. But
> I'm not exactly sure how that works.

In
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.mail.imap.dovecot/7896 (patch mirrored
here:
http://www2.inf.fh-bonn-rhein-sieg.de/skdata/dovecot/patch.sendmail_n_tempfail.diff.gz)
I submitted a patch to let the MTA handle the error. This is done (for
sendmail anyway) by returning a specific exit code of <sysexit.h>, hence,
there is no much fine-graining; the message is taken from the LDA's
stdout/stderr.

Bye,

--
Steffen Kaiser