[Dovecot] Broken on upgrade, "Protocol not supported"

Ryan Hinton iobass at email.com
Thu Jun 15 07:28:57 EEST 2006

Hello, and thanks in advance for your help.  I was having trouble with
dovecot-1.0beta2 after it worked flawlessly since January.  Thunderbird
was complaining that dovecot was not returning proper mail server
capabilities (its log seems to confirm this).  I checked the dovecot
site and saw a new beta (beta9) with lots of bug fixes, so I downloaded
it and installed it.

The configure and make ran without incident.  Before running 'sudo make
install' I stopped the dovecot process with a SIGTERM.  I installed and
tried to restart the server, but now I get the two following errors:

Error: socket() failed: Protocol not supported
Fatal: listen(993) failed: Protocol not supported

I went back and re-configured without IPv6 support, recompiled, and
reinstalled.  I even rebooted, but still the same result.  Any help is
greatly appreciated.

I am running OpenBSD 3.5 i386.

<time passes...>

After some printf's, I found

Error: socket() failed: Protocol not supported
Error: section 2
port = 993
my_ip.family  = 0
so.sin.family = 0
SOCK_STREAM   = 1
AF_UNIX       = 1
AF_INET       = 2
AF_INET6      = 24
Fatal: listen(993) failed: Protocol not supported

in function net_listen(...) in src/lib/network.c.  My socket programming
is a little rusty, but don't we want an address family of AF_INET or
AF_INET6?  Moving up into src/master/main.c I found

set->protocols = imap imaps
set->listen_ip.family = 2
set->listen_port      = 143
set->ssl_listen_ip.family = 0
set->ssl_listen_port      = 993

These print statements start at line 361, right after

         if (set->ssl_listen_ip.family == 0 && set->ssl_listen == NULL)
                 set->ssl_listen_ip = set->listen_ip;

Is there something going wrong in resolve_ip?  I'm out of time tonight
trying to track this down.  Hopefully someone else will have more
knowledge to pinpoint the problem.  Let me know if I can provide more
information.

OK, one more tidbit.  I hard-coded set->ssl_listen_ip.family to 2 and it
seems to work beautifully.  My mail server is back up.  Why?

---
Ryan Hinton
iobass at email.com