[Dovecot] strange behaviour: connecting to mysql, but no queries after upgrade on ubuntu...

Don Strayer dstrayer at sadt.com
Sat Jun 17 00:07:11 EEST 2006

> hi all,
>
> I'm having trouble using dovecot with mysql after upgrading to 1.0.beta3 on
> ubuntu. according to the mysql log, dovecot connects but doesn't issue any
> queries..
>
> any hints what might be wrong or where I should look?
> --
> Cheers,
>
>	Nikl

I'm seeing the same behavior under Debian Sid. (First time I've tried it,
so I don't know whether the problem is connected to a particular update.)

I can make an imap connection using passwd-file authentication. When I
switch to mysql, the mysql log shows a connection when dovecot starts but
no further activity. The reply to the imap client is
  NO Temporary authentication failure.

In the mail.log, I see:

Jun 16 06:25:57 server dovecot: auth(default): client in: AUTH^I1^IPLAIN^Iservice=IMAP^Ilip=192.168.1.2^Irip=192.168.1.3^Iresp=AGd1ZXN0QHNhZHQuY29tAGZvbw==
Jun 16 06:25:57 server dovecot: child 4951 (auth-worker) killed with signal 11
Jun 16 06:25:57 server dovecot: auth(default): client out: FAIL^I1^Iuser=foo at sample.com^Itemp
Jun 16 06:25:57 server dovecot: imap-login: Aborted login: user=<foo at sample.com>, method=PLAIN, rip=192.168.1.2, lip=192.168.1.3

Any clues?