[Dovecot] Dovecot not responding to CAPABILITY command

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sat Jun 17 22:54:40 EEST 2006

On Sat, 2006-06-17 at 12:58 -0600, Ryan Hinton wrote:
> Thank you for the patch, my mail server is up and running again.  Now I
> am back to my previous problem: I am not able to log in with
> Thunderbird.  Thunderbird issues the capability command which is not
> answered by Dovecot.  Here is a session transcript using openssl s_client.
>
> * OK Dovecot ready.
> 1 capability
> * OK Waiting for authentication process to respond..
> 2 CAPABILITY
> * OK Waiting for authentication process to respond..
> quit
> * OK Waiting for authentication process to respond..
> QUIT
> DONE

Well, it gives the reason there. How long have you tried to wait? If
it's not ever replying, there's something wrong with dovecot-auth. This
happens to me sometimes after Dovecot has just been started, but it
starts responding within a couple of seconds.

What passdb and userdb are you using? Maybe check with "strace -p" what
the dovecot-auth is doing. Maybe it's trying to connect to some SQL or
LDAP database and it's taking.