[Dovecot] beta8 + mbox + Thunderbird

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Mon Jun 19 13:34:59 EEST 2006

On Mon, 2006-06-19 at 12:15 +0200, Thomas Hummel wrote:
> Recently I put a co-worker who's using Thunderbird (1.5.0.4) on it and
> he seemed to have lost some messages (which were delivered on the
> spool since seen on procmail logfile).

As far as I know Dovecot has never deleted a message unless the client
has requested it to do so.

Did the user (or his client) move those messages to some other mailbox
or were they lost in INBOX?

> Did someone experienced the same (I read about some similar issue on
> the list but with maildir format - I'm using mbox) ?

I don't think it has happened with maildir either. There was a bug for a
while in non-released CVS version where messages saved through Dovecot
weren't properly saved into maildir.

> I forgot to say that, when this occured, I fist thought about index
> corruption and did the following :
>
>   . remove the dovecot indexes for that user on the server
>
>   . remove *.msf files on Thunderbird (my understanding beeing that
>     these are the local TB indexes).

Just greeping the mbox file (or all of the user's mboxes) should show if
it's still there.