[Dovecot] beta8 + mbox + Thunderbird

Thomas Hummel hummel at pasteur.fr
Mon Jun 19 15:55:22 EEST 2006

On Mon, Jun 19, 2006 at 01:34:59PM +0300, Timo Sirainen wrote:

> Did the user (or his client) move those messages to some other mailbox
> or were they lost in INBOX?

The issue has been experienced on 3 or 4 messages (I switched the user
on another server (dovecot 0.9) as soon I saw that, so I don't have
much material to examine).

One seemed to have been lost in the INBOX (a message for which there
was no TB filter), 2 or 3 were supposed to be (should have been)
automatically moved by a simple thunderbird message filter (such as
"from foo at bar" go to "foo" mailbox). But they did not show in the
destination box.

> I don't think it has happened with maildir either. There was a bug for a
> while in non-released CVS version where messages saved through Dovecot
> weren't properly saved into maildir.

I read on the list an issue were messages weren't actually lost but
found in some temp directory (but, again, I'm using mbox, not
maildir).

> Just greeping the mbox file (or all of the user's mboxes) should show if
> it's still there.

We opened the INBOX with mutt -f on the server, saw the messages, then
they dissapeared (not sure if we had already left mutt or not), from
the server and were not seen on the client.

But I don't succeed in reproducing the phenomenon.

--
Thomas Hummel 	    | Institut Pasteur
<hummel at pasteur.fr> | Pôle informatique - systèmes et réseau