[Dovecot] LMTP revisited

Glenn Leavell glenn at usg.edu
Mon Jun 19 22:22:37 EEST 2006

On Sun, Jun 18, 2006 at 12:11:08PM +0300, Timo Sirainen wrote:

> On Jun 18, 2006, at 5:21 AM, Glenn Leavell wrote:
>
> >>This doesn't require LMTP. It could be implemented just as well
> >>with the
> >>current Dovecot LDA.
> >
> >I think I'm probably showing my ignorance here:  My understanding
> >is that
> >Dovecot's LDA gets called once per recipient,
>
> That's how it normally works, and it doesn't support anything else
> currently. But at least Postfix supports giving it multiple
> recipients by increasing transport_destination_recipient_limit setting.

In this sort of configuration, does Dovecot's LDA provide individual status
reports for each local recipient in a way that Postfix (or MTAs in general)
can understand?  I know that this is a key feature of LMTP, because it
allows MTAs to be smarter about how to handle failed local deliveries.  For
example, without status reports for each individual recipient, an MTA will
be forced to retry an entire batch of local deliveries if any one recipient
fails with a transient error, causing duplicate mail for some of the
recipients.

Thanks,
Glenn