[Dovecot] Re: entered bc_action_emit with filelen:

Brian T Glenn glenn-dovecot at delink.net
Tue Jun 20 21:54:21 EEST 2006

On Tue, Jun 20, 2006 at 07:45:11PM +0100, Alex Pimperton may have written:
> Brian T Glenn wrote:
> >On Tue, Jun 20, 2006 at 03:24:49PM +0100, Alex Pimperton may have written:
> >>
> >>Is this something that's fixed in 1.0.9?
> >>

> >Those version numbers don't match up with the way dovecot is currently
> >numbered. You are going to have problems using those version numbers
> >after dovecot starts with stable release numbering.
> >
> I'm no expert on Debian (and Ubuntu's) packaging systems but I believe
> that  when a bugs are fixed or the package is patched by the Debian
> maintainer it gets a -1, -2 etc added to the package name to keep track
> of the patches.
>
> This is how it's done for all Debian/Ubuntu packages.

This is correct. However, the current version of Dovecot is 1.0.beta9
not 1.0.9. 1.0.9 implies revision 9 of the release version of 1.0, which
is not correct. The -1, -2, etc is used to denote a new version of a
package with the same upstream code version. This is used mainly for
fixing packaging errors or rarely for adding a patch to the upstream
code.

When dovecot is released as 1.0, your package version number will not
allow you to upgrade because it will think you are already running a
newer version.

--
http://www.delink.net/
Q:	How many gradual (sorry, that's supposed to be "graduate") students