[Dovecot] dovecot and thunderbird

Mark Davies mark at mcs.vuw.ac.nz
Sat Jun 24 05:47:30 EEST 2006

On Sunday 18 June 2006 09:39, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> > When using thunderbird as the imap client sometimes when messages are
> > moved from the inbox to other folders (including Trash) they shortly
> > thereafter reappear in the inbox - this can happen multiple times to the
> > same message.

> Could you verify if this still happens with beta9? It sounds like either
> the deleted-flag doesn't get written to the mbox or the expunge command
> for some reason doesn't remove the messages.

Unfortunately I can't check this any more.  I'm not a thunderbird user myself
so only had the reports of our thunderbird users to go on and since I sent
that original message we've converted so that users inbox's are also Maildir
so they no longer have the problem.

> Since you use NFS, do the users randomly move around in different
> servers? Does Thunderbird open multiple connections to the same mailbox
> which might be transferred to different computers?

No users would have always been accessing their mail from the dovecot server
accessing (for any given user) one NFS server.  Original mail delivery
however happened on a separate computer (from the dovecot one) accessing that
same NFS server.  However that should have been protected by appropriate
dotlocking.

cheers
mark