[Dovecot] quotas on shared folders

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sat Jun 24 21:14:49 EEST 2006

On Thu, 2006-06-22 at 14:54 +0200, Nicolas Boullis wrote:
> Timo Sirainen wrote:
> > On Wed, 2006-06-21 at 18:06 +0200, Nicolas Boullis wrote:
> >
> >>My problem is that I could not fire out how to set quotas on shared
> >>folders. Is it possible?
> >

> > Not really. Shared folders still aren't properly supported. I'm not
> > actually sure how quotas even should work in shared folders.
>
> To be honnest, I know very little about imap quotas, and even less about
> shared folders.
> But my non-educated guess is that it should not be much different from
> quotas on private folders: there is a quota to the folder, and it is not
> allowed to add a message if it would lead to exceed the quota. Hence,
> this would be independant from the user's quota.

Usually users have quotas, not mailboxes.

I think usually the user who has created the shared mailbox is
responsible for its quota, so no matter who writes to the mailbox the
owner's quota is always used for it.

If the mailbox is a "public mailbox" without any specific owner, then I
don't know really.. Unless some virtual user was created for this
purpose.

In any case currently if mailbox exists in shared namespace Dovecot just
doesn't count quota for it. And I'm not planning to change this before
doing a larger rewrite to support shared folders properly.