[Dovecot] problem with dovecot and thunderbird while deleting

the.buratino at rambler.ru the.buratino at rambler.ru
Mon Jun 26 15:30:06 EEST 2006

My BSD wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 13:57:00 +0300
> Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 2006-06-26 at 13:19 +0400, the.buratino at rambler.ru wrote:
>>> Hello!
>>>
>>> I have very strange problem with dovecot and thunderbird while
>>> deleting messages. The problem is that they are not actually
>>> deleted from storage filesystem and if I later run mutt I can
>>> perfectly see them, though marked with 'D', so mutt ask to delete
>>> them on exit and this time they dissapear from filesystem. I
>>> enabled in thunderbird 'remove it iimediately' feature, but this
>>> doesn't help. When I delete message from mutt it removed from
>>> filesystem just fine.
>>>
>>> IMAP server:
>>>   OS: FreeBSD 6.1p2
>>>   dovecot: dovecot-1.0.b9
>> Yes, this is a bug in 1.0beta9. If you do the expunging twice it
>> should work then. I'll release 1.0rc1 soon which will fix it.
>>

> Good day!
>
> (I missed the beginning of this thread, sorry.  I hope I'm not
> re-stating the obvious or what some other poster already observed.)
>
> I'm not so sure that this is only a Dovecot bug.
>
> As I understand it, upon manual deletion TB's "remove it immediately"
> setting removes it from view but not from the server.
>
> As the.buratino correctly observed, messages are marked deleted on the
> server.  However, TB does not expunge them until TB is closed (or
> sometimes re-started).

I've made some experiments with TB and observed:

1) if message was in INBOX and marked for deletion by TB it _is_ deleted
from filesystem after TB restart.

2) if message was _not_ in INBOX but in other IMAP folder it is not
deleted even after TB restart.

In addition to mutt I've tested sylpheed and it is also delete messages
from server correctly, i.e. they are removed from filesystem