[Dovecot] Re: Asterisks (*) in Folder Names disallowed?

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Mon Jun 26 20:29:53 EEST 2006

On Jun 26, 2006, at 8:15 PM, Daniel W wrote:

>>> ERROR : Could not complete request.
>>> Query: COPY 9975:9975 "mail/*myfolder"
>>> Reason Given: Invalid mailbox name.
>>>

>>> Could this restriction be lifted?
>> It already is, I guess you're using an old version:
>> 	* src/lib-storage/index/: dbox/dbox-storage.c,
>> 	  maildir/maildir-storage.c, mbox/mbox-storage.c: Allow creating
>> 	  mailbox names with '*' and '%' characters. They don't break
>> 	  anything anyway.
>
> Thanks for the really fast reply!
>
> However:
> host]# dovecot --version
> 1.0.beta9
>
> Is'nt that the latest version?
> Or do i need to just update that c file?

Oh, in that case looks like I removed the other checks a bit later in
here:

	* src/imap/commands-util.c: Fixes to checking if mailbox name is
	  valid. In case mailbox name is invalid, put it through
	  str_sanitize() before giving it in an error message.

You could get dovecot-latest from http://dovecot.org/nightly/ or wait
a while for 1.0rc1, which I'll release soon.. I guess I should do
that already, but I'm still feeling a bit unsure if there are any
stupid bugs left :)